Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Universal Voice Change

I think I should start another blog or a new series of posts telling stories I remember from when I was a kid. I have a list of stories I'd like to share. Like the time my sister and I dropped my grandma's birthday cake on the floor in the hallway while we were waiting to surprise her. Or the time I dressed up as dice with my friends and rolled down a hill and landed on "6". Building a scooter with 4 wheels, making my own "Gameboy" out of wood in my grandpa's shop, playing Boxcar Children with my sister and friends that lived down the street. Pretending I was a ninja turtle (Donatello was my favorite- I've always had a thing for intelligent guys), or Robin Hood. Making my own bow and arrows from the twigs in my front yard.
Big thanks to my parents for not having cable while I was growing up. Actually had to go and entertain myself.
Here's one story I'll tell out full for now. Being and Disneyland the other weekend reminded me of the time my family came down to Disneyland and Universal Studios when I was in the 4th grade. I'll paint a picture for you. Me, at age 10: big glasses, buck teeth, headgear, huge T-shirt, jean shorts, sandals (with socks thank you!), and a turquoise mickey mouse baseball cap on. So my family goes to Universal studios and one of the attractions we check out is the Back to the Future "exhibit". Basically they bring in an audience and show you how they created the effects of flying and "shooting through time". They asked for two volunteers. A boy and a girl. My hand goes up instantly - I figure I can handle being on stage. Heck, I just performed pantomime for the last year. White face and all- I got this covered! So I go up on stage and the boy they pick is super cute. This is my chance to impress him! Sweet. So we get in the Delorian (sorry if that's misspelled), he in the driver's seat and me in the passenger seat. All I'm told is to scream like I can see we're flying really fast and I'm scared we're going to die. Awesome. The boy was just supposed to drive. So they get us all set up, cameras on us and all. The audience now sees up on a screen what it kinda looked like in the movie. The host tells me to start screaming. So I scream. A high pitched 10 yr old girl scream. "Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh" but I loose my breath and take a big inhale and let it out again...this time the scream is about an octave or more lower than when I had first started. "Uggggghhhhhhhh". As if I had some freak voice change! I don't know. All I know is that the whole audience started laughing like crazy. As embarrassed as I was, I think that's when the comedy bug hit.
I saw the cute boy later that day and tried to make eyes at him behind my big rimmed and thick glasses and smiled my big toothy grin- but got nothin in return.
Whatever, now I knew I could make people laugh.

No comments: