Sunday, October 18, 2009

This is Hollywood Baby,

This weekend I was given a rough lesson in the reality of social gatherings among Hollywood actors. I tried to get people together to hang out for my birthday. It was at least two weeks ago that I had sent out my invitations. People responded quite positively and excited about the shin-dig. As it got closer to my birthday the excuses came in. "Sorry I have a show that night, I'll come to the party after.", "I have to work.", "Something came up." See that's why I sent you that invite at least 2 weeks in advance. So you could clear your schedule. Saturday was the day of my "shin-dig". I hadn't heard from hardly anyone. I looked at my list of people who said they were coming and marked each one off as I remembered them telling me they could no longer make it. I was left with one person. One person kept her schedule free because she had said she was going to come. She is a rockstar in my book now. I decided to scrap the drive in movie idea and the two of us would just go see a movie somewhere close by, then continue on with the party plans afterwards. As I went to pick her up my car broke down. I had to get it towed and then go out to the Burbank airport to pick up a rental. Enter two more rockstar friends: they were able to pick us up and drive me to pick up the rental. So, after the car fiasco we get back to my apartment and I start sending out the texts to let people know they can come on over. One after another I get the responses. More excuses. More things coming up. More messages making me feel like a pretty lame person.
Thankfully my closest friends began to show up and the fun took off. As I sat looking around my living room with tears in my eyes from so much laughter I knew that I was lucky to have this core group of people. I do have good friends.
I know it's not about the number of people of friends, but it's who. And some people really did have a good reason to not be there. But nothing deflates your excitement for a party (especially a birthday party you are throwing for yourself) like a crap load of messages from people saying they have something else they would rather do.
I have now officially given up on planning any party or event. I'm done. Everyone is so busy here it is nearly impossible to get people together. And hardly anyone really responds to you. I don't care if it's a "yes" or a "no", just let me know. It's like people being late. I hate to be late and I hate it when people are late. It says you have a lack of respect for that person's time.
This is a lonely town. We are all so focused on our own career building that we loose sight of the people next to us. In a town where our ego is beaten daily, we need to be reaching out and supporting each other. But this is not that kind of town.
It's reminder that I don't want to settle down here. Like dating that popular guy with all the money- it's fun for awhile just to "see what it's like", but you know he's not for you. This town has a lot to offer career wise but I feel that's too empty and cold for me. I want to connect with people on a real level.
But this is Hollywood baby, it's only screen deep.

No comments: