Monday, June 23, 2008

Accuracy vs Getting Acquainted


Today was my first day at an actual window taking care of people's deposits. I thought I would get to have the same training I did when I began my days as a teller back in Washington: someone talking me through each deposit so I would get the hang of what to do.
It started out like that....for maybe 10 min. Then as the line of customers grew a bit my "trainer" left me to go to his window to help other customers. So there I was, staring at the poor person in front of me while I struggled with their deposit. For 8 hours today I was paranoid about totally screwing up people's accounts. "Winging it" is not something I would suggest for training a teller. I'm dealing with your money! Come on! You'd think more precaution would be taken.
About 5pm my assistant manager hovered over my shoulder. Good, like that makes you perform better. After I had finished with my customer she made me close my window.
"Ok, now I don't know what you do in Washington, but in California we require you use the customer's name at least 3 times. Did you notice anything when you pulled up his account?"
"uhh...no?"
"The reason you pull up their profile is so that you can see what they may need for their account. What can you refer?"
I tried to tell her that I was in the process of unlearning the Washington system to learn the California system, I was trying to make my transactions accurate, trying to remember the different processes for deposits, look for fraud, NSFs, and a few other things.
She responded by telling me that I also needed to be more social with my customers.
Listen lady, talking to customers is not a problem for me, but right now my priority is getting this deposits and payments done right. Right now, I don't care about your "numbers" and "scores". This is my first day and I'm trying not to totally eff these people's accounts.
But...I didn't say that. My next customer came to my window and I'm pretty sure I said his name 20 times. "How are you today Dave? How would you like your cash back Dave? Thank you for banking with us today Dave. Have you thought about having online banking Dave? ok, well have a nice day Dave."
Perhaps tomorrow will be better. I'm exhausted. It's only day one......

1 comment:

Míchéal Montgomery said...

ok ... so we know that you going to do it .. make it ... and looking flippin' fab in the process!

so to the "encourager" that sits on your shoulder ...
think of her this way ... she was abandoned as a child and grew up without any attention, love acceptance or guidance in the finer things ... like social skills ...

at twelve she was abandoned on I 66 and was picked up by an albanian basket-weaver of dubious sexual certainty ... she was forced to beg on the streets and say "Please Sir" and was beaten until she discovered the names of the regular passers-by.

Once she had them she was only fed if she addressed them by name and said it at least 3 times during the begging. (If only she was found in Washington where it's only necessary to say the name once!)

She worked her way out of this social hole by faking a heart attack in the middle of the road and only when her Albanian amaphrodite of a boss came across to check out her condition was she able to trip her up and run off the road to watch her being crushed by a bank security truck. That moment warmed her heart eternally to the bank concerned and she has since dedicated her life to ensuring that all employees sell their soul to the "company" and forswear themselves to making every customer cringe with unnecessary mentions of their name .. (just in case they forgot!)

so .. in the grand scheme of things .. she is to be pitied! ;-)