Saturday, August 18, 2012

My eloquent response....


Please allow me to be girly, gushy, and giddy.

The proposal:

Yesterday afternoon Eric got home from work and asked if I would like to go for a hike. I agreed, and after having a lovely romantic dinner of Kraft Mac and Cheese with hotdogs while watching an episode of Reno 911 we headed out for our hike. We headed up to a mountain top where we first had our "first hike" together last Labor Day. I always loved the view from up top and was also quite sentimental about it.

Once we had made it up the hill I noticed there was a bottle of champagne and two champagne flutes.
"Oh my gosh Eric! Someone left champagne up here!"
"Hey, we should open it!"
"No! It's not ours! Put it back. We might be ruining a perfectly great proposal or something. Come on, we gotta get out of here in case they show up."
Eric proceeded to open the bottle and I started to freak out (surprise surprise).
While I frantically was looking around to see if the happy couple were on their way Eric said, "Well, I think this is as good a time as any." And he pulled out a ring box and and handed it to me. "Will you marry me?"
I opened it up and inside I saw a bunch of green twisty-ties in the form of a ring.
"Is this a joke?" I asked. I didn't want to get too excited and look like an idiot for just assuming. I had joked earlier that he didn't need to get me a fancy ring. He could just give me a green twisty-tie.
"No, it's not a joke."

"HOLY SHITBALLS!" I yelled across the canyon floor. "I mean 'Yes!', yes I'll marry you!"
Unwrapping the ring took quite awhile and my flustered state did not help the moment.

Little did I know that on Thursday Eric was able to finally pick up the finished ring (he had ordered it 5 weeks ago), on the way home he called my dad and asked for his blessing. My dad responded "You got it boy!". Friday afternoon Eric had left work early and stopped by the house to pick up his bike and ice packs (for the champagne). He biked/hiked out to the location (taking two hours out in the woods - he got a bit lost), got everything set up, and made it home by 5pm. Flopped down on the couch and said "Wanna go for a hike?"....


We sipped our champagne and enjoyed the view for a little while. We toasted our glasses and then threw them over the cliff with a dramatic crash (Sorry, yes, I littered). Trying to beat the dark night sky we rushed back to the car, glugging the rest of the champagne from the bottle along the path.

We video skyped our parents, called a few friends, then of course promptly updated our Facebook status.

Ta-da! (sorry it's a little blurry...)


I'll keep you posted on all that "other stuff" later when we figure it out. For now, I'm going to enjoy being a fianceƩ.....weird!

No comments: