Friday, February 1, 2013

Slow and steady...

It's been quite a while since I last posted.
The new BIG news is I booked my first commercial.
You can see it below if ya like:



Finally after going out on auditions for about 3 years I finally booked my first "big" commercial. It was a regional one that played up in my hometown in Washington state (among a few other areas in the States). What lovely surprise to see myself up on the big screen in the movie theaters and on T.V where my friends from home could see me. And just in time for Christmas! Merry Christmas indeed!

This April will be my 5 year anniversary for moving to California. Until I was engaged to my fiancé my parents kept thinking I would come back home eventually. I'm super glad I stuck it out.
And now as we have finished the first month of the new year I am motivated even more. This one booking has taught me that it worth it to just keep going. Do what you love, don't give up, and the right things will happen at the right time.

I'm glad I didn't book this commercial until now. Over the years I have gotten myself acquainted with film sets thanks to working as a "background artist" (when I first arrived) and especially thanks to working Craft Service on sets for the last 2 years. I knew who everyone was - or at least what each crew member actually did. I knew who to talk to if I had a question. And I THOROUGHLY enjoyed having my own room in the trailer to hang out it. Granted, they weren't long breaks but my name was on the door...on masking tape and permanent marker.

By no means was this shoot easy. We were filming during a heat wave in LA in late November while wearing all that winter gear. I was taped into my costume and sweating non-stop. At one point they had to stop production so I could get ice down my shirt to keep me from passing out. I got a bit dizzy and cross-eyed. I kept thinking it would be just one more take. I could do it!

After all was said and done I came home exhausted and never more happy with a day at work. I was prepared, I was professional, I worked my ass off, and I was happy. I was doing what I had originally set out to do.

The funny thing is is that I remember in high school swearing up and down I would never do commercials. Little did I know that 10 years later they would make me the happiest camper.

I can not wait to do another one. I hope I don't have to wait another 3 years (or more). But in the meantime I am staying productive and continuing to move one step at a time.

This month I start in rehearsals for The 39 Steps working with The Big Bear Theatre Project and I'm filming a few sketches to air for the local T.V station - while also producing and running a few of their morning shows.

I'm hoping to film my silent western film this summer. Thankfully Big Bear has the perfect location for that.

So. Just keep going. Be prepared for when the time comes because you never know when that is. Every day has something new to teach you that you may find useful when new and bigger opportunities come.

I'm excited for this year. It's going to be a great one.

No comments: