Monday, May 14, 2012

City Mouse, Country Mouse

Two weeks of living in Big Bear now and I love it. I think I've discovered the perfect formula for me for my transition. Two days in LA and the rest of the week in Big Bear. I find I can now enjoy Hollywood so much more now that I've taken a step back, and I love Big Bear because I still get to get out into the city regularly. I prefer the ratio of mountain to city to favor more on the mountain side.

I can feel the plaque build up, the jaded and cynic residue, of living in LA slip away. Once again I enjoy sitting in coffee shops and overhearing conversations about the latest movie deal, who's doing what film, what show is canceled, etc. That tinge of snobbery for being and living in the "biz". And then when I'm "up the hill" I get to overhear conversations about when it's time to get the boat out, the prep for the LA tourists to come up for tourists season, the dread of having to drive "down the hill" to get something. That tinge of snobbery for living up on the mountain. I love people. I love listening and watching. Observing and learning. What a kick.

Still enjoying working in the theatre up here just as much, if not more, than on the first day. I've been working painting sets for The King and I. I love listening to the five ladies that work all day in the theatre painting. What a fun contrast to the days when I was working on sets in college. The women here remind me of The Golden Girls. Could not be happier! Hearing one squabble over someone taking her favorite brush, another trying to make a joke about the "I like big butts" song and not remembering the rest of the lyrics or the actual tune of it. I like watching the little flare ups that quickly light up between the director, the set designer, the "painters", and guys who build the sets. All having worked together for close to 16 years they all have their own opinions about what will be best. I like how each person comes up to me to give me a little tid-bit of advice for dealing with another person.

Today I watched as the director added a few more roles for the ladies painting to play in the show. It's always tough finding enough people to fill out a large cast when you have a small community to pick from. They will be playing the wives, slaves, dancers, and even men characters. Talk about a jack of all trades. Oh did I mention somewhere between their costume changes they need to help move the set? Oh! And I almost forgot! Since this is The King and I and this is a mostly white community the actors were asked at the meeting last Saturday to use fake tanner and dye their hair black.

I love community theatre. I have a harder time actually watching the shows, but the lead up is my favorite. To watch how everything comes together. How people creatively overcome ridiculous obstacles. Little to no funding, small casting pool, people dropping out at the last minute, some people's first time on stage. It's beautiful.

I look forward to learning so much. What a great new adventure!

1 comment:

beachreader said...

So do you have a role in the musical?