Monday, April 30, 2012

I don't need to make it. I need to be needed.

It's nice to be needed. Real nice.

This past weekend I moved out of LA and up a mountain to Big Bear Lake. It's approximately 100 miles away from LA. 50ish miles east and another 50ish up (7000 ft. elevation) the mountain's windy roads. I really like it here. I moved so I could be with my boyfriend (so we didn't have to commute every weekend) and move forward our totally awesome relationship. Makes sense to me. I like hanging out with the guy and I'd like to see him more than just weekends.

The other good news is that I get to be back in the theatre! I've been moved in for one day now and already I made a visit to the local theatre. I sat with the ladies preparing for this summer's production of The King and I and got a tour of their new location they just finished building. They are so proud of it and I think it is great. They built a warehouse and made it into a black box theatre so they can build sets, rehearse, and put on smaller shows between the two big productions they do at the performing arts center in town. They have been working on building this new theatre for years! Congrats to them!

After 4 years in LA and trying out many of the LA things: new acting classes, auditions, film, t.v, commercials, craft service, background work, crew, theatre, making a silent film of my own, working the Oscars, etc. I find that my heart still belongs to the theatre. More specifically - community theatre. I'm not going into this new theatre to be a big fish from the city with big ideas on how to run things. I'm coming in wanting to be of help. Help with anything. Lights, sets, props, costumes, whatever! I just want to give to the art I love so much. I am fascinated by community theatre. It's sweated over with pride and labors of love. No one is paid here. This is all volunteer and there is so much pride in what they do and what they have accomplished. I will always love acting and entertaining, but I love getting down and dirty with everything that leads to opening night as well. I will be totally honest. The look of glee in their eyes as I said I wanted to be of help and that I have 15 years of working in the theatre of a similar kind - it made me feel really good. For too long I've held jobs where I feel at the lowest rung of a ladder or the most easily disposed of. I've tried to offer my help out in the theatres in LA and have never been looked at once. God, it feels great to have someone say "we would LOVE to have you here!"

It's nice to feel back at home completely. It may take awhile to get a job up here in Big Bear (I hear prospects aren't so good) so I'll keep working my 2 days at the Kodak. And for the rest of the time, I will happily keep myself busy at the local theatre.

I love being in the theatre! It's nice to be back.

1 comment:

Julisa said...

I should add a note: I did work in one theatre (where I took my classes). It was the big fancy ones that wouldn't give me the time of day. :) The theatre I was a part of was wonderful and like a home/family to me.