Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day One

Day one of this novel writing month. I wrote 2,095 words towards my first novel ever. But here's the interesting thing that happened. As I wrote I was inundated by my inner critic. I heard over and over things to make me not want to keep writing. Things like:
"This is so cliche!"
"You're just writing what you've read in other books"
"This is so childish/lame/boring/god awful!"
"You better not show this to anyone"
"You are wasting your time".

And other lovely things. But I kept going. As I trudged through my first few pages I kept thinking:
"I have never done this before - how could I be amazing at my first attempt?"
"You aren't born able to walk"
"You can't just jump to the top of a rock wall - you have to climb it"
"In a month I can say I wrote a novel. Beginning, middle, and end."
"I'm just making the clay so I can mold it later."

So, this has been quite an experience already. But I will continue on. Maybe that little angry critic will start to just turn into white noise.

I hope so. I'm not giving up.
At least, not on day one.

1 comment:

BreeT said...

You = amazing.

Those inner editor/critic feelings and thoughts are totally natural on the first day. And the second. And somewhere around the 15th. And again right before Thanksgiving. Natural... and silenceable. The best way to silence those nay-saying voices is to keep going :)