Friday, August 15, 2008

For the Love of Tact!

Yesterday I had a real winner at my window.

A lady, trying to exude the air of importance, came up to my window with a few checks and a blank deposit form in hand. I took the form and began writing.
"Wow! You have really bad hand writing".......I just sat there, looking at her deposit form that I was filling out for her.
"Excuse me?" Staring at her thinking maybe it would sink in that she just said a really rude thing.
"I'm not insulting you, just making commentary. It just seems like an odd thing, for a bank teller to have bad handwriting. I've never seen that!"
"Gee, I don't know what to say. Thanks?" And I really didn't. I tried wracking my brain for some witty comment to fly under the radar till it dawned on her after she walked out of the bank - but alas, I thought of nothing.
I let the tension sit there at the window as I silently filled out the rest of her deposit form and cashed her check. Handing her the money and saying have a good one.
A good boot to the face!
I don't know about you, but I was taught that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Socially retarded. That better be her only excuse.

No comments: