Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Few Weeks In La La Land

What do I have in common with Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, and Mary Pickford? I have the same size hands. I know! I checked - first hand at Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

Today, as I walked over the stars across Hollywood Blvd. in search of a new place to call my own, my tired feet stumbled into the cutest cafe. Cafe Audrey. Done up in black and white with pictures of Audrey Hepburn hung across the walls. A wonderful highlight to my rather disappointing day. Even with two jobs I don't see much hope in affording a studio apartment on my own. Most studios in the area run about $1,000 a month to $1,500 a month. However...I do still hope. If I can get myself 2 jobs (at a cafe and hopefully soon at Ann Taylor) in a matter of a few weeks in town - I can find a place to call my own.

Things really have gone well so far despite the cramped living quarters. I met Al Pacino the other day and saw a private screening of his new documentary he's working on. There was only 15 of us in that private screening room on the Santa Monica Boardwalk. My being there was all due to my roommate being Al's assistant. While watching his movie I would remember every now and then that I was only a few feet away from Al watching his movie...just three weeks of being in town! What are the odds?!

While still new to the city I find it justifiable to do touristy things - hence Grauman's Chinese Theatre. After the tour I got to talking to the guide. He gave me his e-mail address and said if I ever wanted to see a movie in that great theatre (one of the finest in the nation) just to write and he'd get me a ticket.
I've had my first class at the iO (improv Olympic) and am excited for the knowledge to come. All those I've met who are in the program or are alumni of the program have been so nice, encouraging, and welcoming. The iO is a very nice place to be. The heart there is the closest to pure and genuine that I have felt while here.
I found a theatre that plays old movies! I rejoice at any chance to get a first hand glimpse of the golden era of Hollywood. I hope to find more. While walking across those stars on Hollywood Blvd. I kinda feel that the dirt and grime represent the hard times in the beginning. It's what stands between me and that star.
From this quaint Audrey cafe I write to you and give my love and best wishes. I thank you all for your continued support.
More to come. Much love. Cheers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with and really like your metaphor of the grit and grime on the stars. Grit, sand rubbed against a stone, polishes it. Interesting that you mention Bette Davis. I saw her interviewed on Larry King after her stroke. (A DVD I rented last week) What I felt from her was her honesty and braveness. I decided I need to know more about her and am going to read a book she wrote after her stroke. Have you seen her in the film "The Whales of August"? One of my favorites!!! It was originally a play. I have the play and it's a great read too. Well you brave, talented and adventurous soul you are doing great. What was Al Pacino's documentary about, and I agree, what are the chances of you sitting in on an intimate screening of Al's own film? Very nice. Don't turn your back on that shower head!
Just a little note, not that you need my advice; I love the Zen way of being. One is, not getting caught up in the end result of things. We all say how life is the journey but how many of us really take that journey? I can see your colors flying from here!
Caroline